Roguelegends: Dark Realms, is a dark fantasy roguelike game with an extreme amount of procedural elements in which all intelligent life in the world will be wiped out in 1 year, unless the demon is vanquished.
It is inspired by the concepts behind the brilliant game : Ultima Ratio Regum, and Dwarf Fortress, with the dark fantasy nature inspired directly by the humorous dark fantasy game Overlord.
It is written in c++ with help from libtcod and is still in development!
The focus of the game is on procedural mechanics and providing procedural exposition to go with it.
It Currently includes procedurally generated Vermin, Monsters, Items, dungeons, dungeon names, and much more!
It also has an experimental AI director that handles creating the levels/creatures/items you play with. So they shouldnt be too punishing or too easy.
The combat system is also completely deterministic, which results in a “board game feel”, to many players that you don’t often see in roguelike games.
Windows, haven’t tested on linux using Wine or anything , and a linux version is planned.
Roadmap (Not necessarily in order! and Only the big things listed!)
Cyan-Done Purple-Partially Done or Started
- (Subject to change!)
- The Aesthetic
- Improving the Colors
- Other minor Tweaks
- UI tweaks
- Game should be fully playable with mouse if players want that.
- Game should be fully playable with keyboard.
- Adding music
- Improving the monsters.
- Acid/Lava trails.
- More Varied AI
- Adding more tactical options.
- Reach, flying, shooting etc.
- Magic System
- Tactics based, (for example pushing monsters a tile away),
- Should be open ended and have many options.
- Should have cost.
- Procedural humanoid enemies
- With 2 syllable names.
- Intelligent, can manipulate and equip items.
- The Dungeon
- Dungeon Themes
- Crypt, Forest etc.
- Smarter procedural generation.
- (A dungeon with a forest should have forest creatures etc.)
- Special rooms
- Rooms filled with blood, rooms filled with corpses/skeletons, traps, story
- situations (ghosts asking for help etc)
- More story choice
- Fountains (Should be like gambling)
- More exposition
- (For example, each world has lost one intelligent species due to the
- demon by the start of the game, should find ghosts of these)
- More ways of gathering info about the world.
- Randomly Chosen Extinct race
- Realm Scourge
- The Demons
- Demonic deals
- Deals you can make with demons, demonic deals
- will provide huge advantages for a large, permanent price.
- For example making a deal with a treasure imp may get you
- rich in the short-term, but the imp will magically take the
- majority of the gold you find for the rest of your characters
- life. Or your soul.Unless of course you get rid of the imp
- Lesser and greater demons
- Lesser Demons:
- Procedural (but class based) demons, that can make deals
- with you.
- Greater Demon, boss demons/ the antagonist .
- Non-antagonist greater demons should also make deals, but
- really they just want to mess with you.
- An active antagonist.
- The demon should mess with you quite a bit.
- Get violent after awhile.
- Try to Trick you.
- The Overworld
- A procedurally generated overworld.
- Towns (of surviving species).
- Active antagonist brought to world.
- Semi Persistent world .
- (1 year max, each death will cost an in game week of time, maybe find
- remnants of old characters)
- The Artifacts
- Realms associated to each artifact, based on elements. Some may be
- Some may be uncomfortably happy, but they should keep the player on
- Realms Can Contain (and always do contain) at least one artifact.
- Realms contain the artifacts the player will need to defeat the demon.
- Killing the antagonist demon can require one or many artifacts, some artifacts
- may be in pieces and have to be put together.
- Stuff I’m not sure about
- “sound” as in monsters making sounds that show up as text pop ups in the log.
What am I currently working on in a general sense? (In order of priority)
Magic System, Creature Generation part 2 (more mechanics, variety), More Content ,Lore,